Menu

Claims That NHS Used Dangerous Syringes To Save Money



After an investigation by the Sunday Times reports, there are claims that, in a bid to save money, the NHS used “danger syringes”. Surprisingly, they kept using the model of a syringe they themselves had given a rating of one star out of five in 2008. These syringes that did not meet international safety standards and have been banned by other countries led to the death of at least nine people. This is significant information that medical negligence solicitors could use to build a strong case.

In spite of these and other concerns and warnings, the service’s National Patient Safety Agency (NPSA) waited for 2 years before issuing a rapid response report to warn hospitals about the deaths and had been caused by the syringe pump’s safety defects.

Even so, health bosses preferred a 5-year phase out after deciding against an immediate recall. Such a decision was linked to the financial resources of immediate replacement, or at least part of the decision. As per the documents attached to the NPSA, an approximate of £37.6m is what the NHS could have incurred if they had made a decision to make a full recall.

According to the NHS, it was advisable to phase out the syringes instead of suddenly stopping them as a way of ensuring patients do not go without pain relief.

Shockingly, there’s an official briefing note addressing to the NHS chief executives in 2010 encouraging prolonging the use of syringes since it would reduce costs. A cautioning of the prolonged use that actually increases issues such as confusion and relatively, errors definitely shows that these experts were aware all along of the consequences of the faulty pumps.

According to experts, the number of fatalities associated with the pumps actually may be many times higher despite the fact that no record was ever made due to institutional indifference to elderly patients in their final days. The Sunday Times claimed to have identified at least 4 more deaths since 2010 when an official briefing note was sent to the NHS. The health secretary then, Jeremy Hunt said he would check if the pumps should be taken out of service sooner.

According to Hunt, they needed to have an assurance that the NHS would react as quickly as possible to such suggestions of unsafe equipment. He further added that an urgent guidance was put in place in 2010 and in 2015, the syringes were removed from use. The health secretary said they will check if the response was quick enough.

Even if the responsible people say no faulty syringes are in use and that they learned from the past mistakes, there’s no reason as to why medical negligence solicitors could never utilise such a weakness.

Tags: , ,